Thursday, October 2, 2008

Blog 1

Book Title: A Farewell To Arms
Pages Since Last Week: 90
Pages Since Semester: 90

Weekly Style: Quotation

“There isn’t always an explanation for everything.”

In the book, the main character Frederic Henry speaks this quotation while talking with Helen Ferguson, an English nurse, when she asks him why he is in Italian Army even though he is an American. In my opinion, this quotation becomes of a great significance as we move on into the book. I found some things, some instances where I was either confused by the lack of a reason for some ting or I was not satisfied with the writer’s explanation. An example is why did Catherine Barkley allow Henry to kiss her, even though she had slapped him seconds ago when he had made similar attempt. That was one of the many incidents when I pondered over her ambivalence.
Even in real world we find a lot of happenings which go unexplained. One is the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Why was he killed? No one really knows about it. Another one is about the whereabouts of notorious terrorist Osama Bin Laden. What created the planet earth or this universe? Such things prompt people to make guesses of wide variety and range. And sometimes, there is indeed no explanation of some things. It is just better to avoid them. Because the reality might be more hurting. And that does explain the reply given by Henry to Helen. Perhaps, he was tired of the same question, and so, did not wish to respond to it. I can relate the same situation to my life also. Like when I am asked about my career choice, I try to step away from the question. My point is that one finds it easier to skip troubling question rather than actually answering them. Another example is Barack Obama not explaining why he voted in favor of Iraq war and John McCain defending Bush policies and neglect of Afghanistan besides Sarah Palin’s willingness to attack Pakistan, which he opposes. Because the answers to them will be more damaging than being quiet. So, everyone, at some point in his or her life, does face such type of situation, where he or she tries to get away with a mistake without acknowledging it.

No comments: