Wednesday, December 2, 2009

We need a way out of roads!!!

As I sit in my dorm, with nothing really to do (even though finals are next week), and listening to soul-soothing piano instrumentals by my closest friend on Youtube, I am wondering about the road system in US.
I have given the road system in US some thought over past fortnight or so because of some reasons. The first was the video I watched in my American Studies class about the highway system that was constructed using public money. Was it to fulfill the aspirations of the public, or the carmakers and the highway lobby? I must admit that US relies too much on cars and roads becasue of so called "American Way of Life." Not talking about that, I want to just list down some of my worries.
The movie '2012' and my friend Andy Nguyen's research paper on earthquakes in Bay Area has caused me to think about how our over-reliability on roads will hurt us in wake of a natural disaster or crisis. Say there is a powerful earthquake in Bay Area, and it will definitely damage the existing highway system. That will only delay emergency responses and rescue operations by authorities.
The Government as well as the public needs to change their attitudes. We depend too much on cars and automobiles. Some attitudes that have become a part of culture and life need to be get rid of.
P.S. This blog could have been better!!

No comments: